Monday, April 23, 2007

"Resume Once More, The Form Of Man"

Rarity, but I slept in my office last night. It was in the wee hours of the morning that I felt the tremor.


"Earthquake?" I thought, remembering the flood that destroyed the town that stood on this land before Steelhead, "Or is Tensai experimenting again?"


Then the scream. The blood curdling scream echoed throughout the entire city. I jumped up and rushed out of my office. There was a wicked smell in the air. I think, due to my heightened senses, I was the only one who smelled it. Finnian Fitzgerald came running up to me, apparently in an all night poker game.


"Fuzz," he asked, "the hell was that?"


The scream sounded again, I perked my ears trying to determine the exact location. I was then able to determine the exact location where it all originated, Darien's. I left Finn where he stood and ran towards House Bloodwing, I fought the urge to fully transform into the wolf, hoping that it wasn't necessary. I arrived at the home of Darien Mason to find Darien laying face down on the ground. It was then that I noticed, the hair was different, the horns were gone, his skin looked.....human? It had been a long time since I last saw Darien as a human. Darien slowly stirred, then started to get up.


"Easy, Doc." I said, "Take it slow."


"Doc..." he whispered, then he looked at me, "Yes, that's right. Doctor Darien Mason."


I smiled and nodded. "Welcome back."


Tears ran down his cheeks and he looked up to the sky, "Thank you, God" he said, "I'm free! I'm finally free!"


He got up and dusted himself off. "Fuzz," he said, "you will excuse me for a bit."


"Sure, Doc, I'll be here if you need me."


"As Cappers always are." He replied with a smile, he then turned and walked into his home, closing the door behind him. I then went into my home


A couple of hours later, I walked out of my house and saw Darien standing at his postal box. Looking up, I noticed a figure at the clock tower peering over at him, a quick whiff and I recognized Emilly's scent. I then walked over to Darien. He saw me approaching and smiled, he then proceeded to explain what had happened.


The incubus, which had been residing in his body, was finally banished from this mortal realm. It was never to return for seven generations. Darien, Doctor Darien Mason, the man that I knew during the war, had finally been able to free himself from the demon that was becoming uncontrollable. Even the SWAT Team had started to grow concerned.


"That's great," I said, "this city needs a doctor, and you are a skilled surgeon."


"Yes," he replied, "in due time. For now, I......need to do some travelling."


"But, you've already seen the world."


"No, the demon saw the world." he replied, then pointed at his human eyes, "I'd like to see the world through these eyes."


Later, MeQal Anna and I stood at the train station. Darien sat in the car, looked out the window at us, and tipped his hat. The train pulled out and the changeling turned and looked at me.


"How long is seven generations?" he asked


"The way your family goes at it, seven generations will be this Friday." I replied.


"Change is good." MeQal said as he walked off the platform, heading back to his store.


"Yea," I whispered, as I looked at the tunnel where the train had disappeared into, "sometimes it's for the better."

No comments: